In Vitro Fertilization or IVF is the most effective form of assisted reproductive technology (ART). It is done by extracting eggs, retrieving sperm samples, and then manually combining an egg and sperm in a lab dish. The embryo is then transferred to the uterus.
There are five steps in IVF:
1. Fertility medication wherein eggs are to be boosted and monitored for maturity
2. Collecting eggs
3. Sperms retrieval
4. Artificial insemination through laboratory dishes
5. Fertilized embryos are to be transferred to uterus
After 12 days or two weeks after egg retrieval, your doctor will test if you are pregnant or not. Most recently, the success rates of IVF in the United States are:
• 41% to 43% for ages under 35 years old
• 33% to 36% for ages 35 to 37 years old
• 23% to 27% for ages 38 to 40 years old
• 13% to 18% for ages more than 40 years old
Its success factors also vary according to the patient’s reproductive history, maternal age, cause of infertility, and lifestyle. There are several risks associated with IVF. There are side effects, a possibility of multiple birth, ectopic pregnancy, and a very rare Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS).
Here are some of side effects once undergone IVF:
• Passing a small amount of fluid (maybe clear or blood-tinged) after the procedure
• Mild cramping
• Mild bloating
• Breast tenderness
• Mood swings
Immediately call your doctor once experiencing:
• Heavy vaginal bleeding
• Pelvic pain
• Blood in the urine
• Fever over 100.5°F (38°C)
Here at Al Hokail IVF Department, we guarantee to give the most caring treatment to our valued customer. Through the help of our very respectable medical professionals, we aim to provide the best assistance for you.
For more details about our programs, please kindly call our hotlines or visit our clinics nearest to you.